Have you ever been accused of being a Mean Mom? I would certainly hope so! I know that every time I have been told I’m a Mean Mom, I respond with, “Good. I’m supposed to be.”
Afterall, It has never been my goal to please my children. Instead, my goal has always been to raise well-adjusted, loving children that make me proud. And not proud in a “I graduated from Harvard” kind of way. I desire proud in a “Mom, I did the right thing even when nobody was looking and even though I didn’t want to” kind of way.
So with that said, I would like to invite you to take the Mean Mom Pledge with me.
All you have to do is raise your right hand and repeat (out loud) after me.
- I promise to always try to do what is best for my children in the long-term, not what is easiest in the short-term.
- I promise not to make things easy on my children, but to let them feel the consequences of their actions.
- I promise to teach my children how to take care of themselves (including cooking, cleaning, laundry, and personal hygiene), and not do it all for them.
- I promise not to give my children everything they want as soon as they want it.
- I promise to not always put my children first, but to teach them that life does not revolve around them.
- I promise to teach my children to accept the word “No” without throwing a tantrum.
- I promise to teach my children how to live below their means and be responsible with their money.
- I promise to teach my children not to whine.
- I promise to take care of myself even if that means putting my needs ahead of my children’s needs occasionally.
- I promise to teach my children to work, to work hard, and to do it with a good attitude.
- I promise to teach my children the difference between a want and a need.
- I promise to make sure that my children regularly get enough sleep, even if that means limiting the fun or educational activities we participate in.
- I promise to teach my children to eat their vegetables and to enjoy healthy food.
Remember, being a Mean Mom does not imply that you are perfect. It just means that you are doing your best to raise your children in a way that will help them to become the future adult you want them to be. Keep the long-term view in mind and it helps with making the right short-term decisions!
If you agree with the Mean Mom Pledge, please post it and share it with others. You can copy the code below:
<a title="Mean Mom Pledge" href="https://pjjonas.com/2015/02/03/mean-mom-pledge/" target="_blank"><img class="aligncenter size-medium wp-image-21786" src="https://pjjonas.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/mean-mom-pledge-shield-low-275x300.png" alt="mean mom pledge" width="275" height="300" /></a>
And if you have any promises you think should be added to the pledge, please share them in the comments below!